Saturday, August 13, 2011

Birthdays and First Grade

August is our month for celebrating! We have multiple family members with August birthdays. Mine was actually on the 10th. This was the first one that I've celebrated cancer free since I turned 29 in 2008. It felt so great to feel secure with my future. Although nothing in life is certain, I didn't question wether or not this would be the last birthday that I would get to celebrate! Last year I had found out about my recurrence the day before my birthday. What an awful present! I remember crying all day on my birthday, wondering if I would still be alive to celebrate another one a year later. Thankfully, I am here and I did get to celebrate another one and most importantly.....I celebrated it being CANCER FREE!!! Thank God! I have always tried to make the girls feel special on their birthday, but I especially do now. Ava's birthday is on Tuesday and I am putting together her "candyland" bash for next Saturday! I can't wait to celebrate my sweet little Ava! What a gift she is in our lives!

So, this year on my birthday I have to admit I did get a little teary eyed a time or two. Nothing to do with the cancer, but because I sent my oldest baby girl to first grade. She is going to Scott School this year. She insisted on riding the bus, which I must admit I wasn't too thrilled about at first. I did go ahead and let her ride it, but I followed it on the first day. I was so proud of her. She was such a big, confident girl. She was a little nervous, but she hopped right on that bus. She had a great day and her only complaints were that you don't get to play very much in first grade and that it is long. A little different than half day kindergarten. I have no doubt that she will adjust quickly and love it before long!

No comments:

Post a Comment